- Dates: March 31 to September 10, 2023
- Curator: Lekha Hileman Waitoller
- Celebrated for her paintings of timeless subjects in everyday moments of happiness, comradery, and solitude, Yiadom-Boakye’s lush oils portray fictitious characters rendered in loose brushwork set against dramatic backgrounds.
- The artist’s parallel practice of writing is visible in the poetic and thought-provoking titles that accompany the artworks acting as companions rather than explanations of the works.
- Details including clothing or costumes, footwear or the lack thereof dislocate the figures from any particular time or place
The Guggenheim Museum Bilbao presents Lynette Yiadom-Boakye. No Twilight Too Mighty, an exhibition that shows for the first time a selection of over 60 paintings and charcoal drawings created between 2020 and 2023 by artist and writer Lynette Yiadom-Boakye. The show thus provides a rich opportunity to observe the continuum in the artist’s practice of creating evocative paintings that relate to the human experience. Yiadom-Boakye has recently returned to making charcoal drawings, which have a sense of immediacy given their intimate scale and air of improvisation. Seen in tandem with the paintings, the depth of the artist’s skillful handling of different media is evident.